Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 28, 2012

A little stamping project....and a getaway weekend

Hey friends!

Another travelog blog post---with a related stamping project.

I belong to a women's sorority, Beta Sigma Phi (BSP); it's not a college sorority! It's a cultural and social group. Various state and area conventions are held through out the year. I usually attend the Mid Eastern Area Convention (MEAC). This year the convention took place in Gettysburg, PA and once again I had a chance to connect with my fellow BSP sisters.

One of the traditions (which seems to waning) is to decorate your hotel door--either related to the theme of the convention or to your home state. Of course, this was a creative paper-crafting opportunity for me! I decided to make 3 banners of our chapter name, one for each of our 3 hotel room doors.

hotel room door
I had purchased some poster adhesive dots at my local big box craft store and finally had a project I could use them on. The best part is I got to use some of my retired DSP.....yippee!!!

Even though I had no idea what color the doors would be, it looks I coordinated thee banner colors to match. I love it when things like that happen! What do you think?

testing at home



















We did some sightseeing on the battlefield using an audio tour guide. The National Park Service (NSP) had several options. We selected "The Gettysburg Story battlefield audio tour" because it could be tailored to the length of time you had for a tour. Plus, it came with pamphlet with lots of maps, current photos with 360 degree views, many insights. We did the medium length 2.5 hour version and it was fantastic! I was too busy taking it all in to get any photos. Sorry!

I had taken a different audio tour 10 years ago and I don't recall it being this well done. Next year is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, so it was a special treat to visit the area now. If you live within driving distance I highly recommend taking the time to visit this special place.

So who I did hang out with all weekend? My chapter sorority sisters of course!
Saturday night, I won the Santa centerpiece
Sunday brunch, 2 of my sorority sisters won the yellow rose cnterpieces

The convention planners offered lots of fun tours and get togethers. We signed up for a ghost hunting excursion on Friday night and were out late creeping through a civil war era farm house. I was skeptical but I am not entirely convinced that we did not bump into a ghost at one point! Again no photos but check out Gettysburg Paranormal Association and the Hoffman mansion.

Saturday, in between touring the battlefield and taking a dip in the hotel pool, we had afternoon tea at the hotel with some of our other sorority sisters who were attending the convention. I saw one of the coolest things Saturday night. The convention entertainment following the dinner was an Elva Hurst Chalk Talk. She drew a Christmas scene while an inspirational & patriotic narrative that she had put together played. All I can say is WOW!!! If you ever have the chance to attend one of her "chalk talks" do not hesitate, say YES immediately! This picture of the final scene does NOT do it justice; the room was dark and she had a light over it that simulated dawn to dusk (with a black light at some point) that made the picture glow beautifully.


I hope you are enjoying summer as much as I am!

Stampin Up promotions:

  • It's a great time to become a Stampin Up demonstrator -- the kit is $99, and just for the month of June ONLY, you will get additional $48 worth of Stampin Up goodies!! This deal "Takes the Cake!" Click here to learn more
  • Hostess can earn an additional $50 in FREE hostess benefits in June and July; contact me today to schedule your workshop!
Stamping is fun!

Terri

terhare@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment